Seta´s Transgender Support Center
Senior Social Worker
p. +358 50 913 3278
p. +358 50 303 15 22
Community Work Coordinator
p. +358 50 371 68 99
Trans Support Center offers its services to all trans and intersex persons, to those pondering their gender and to their close ones. We respect the clients´ self definition of their gender and of their sexual orientation, of their family and of who are their significant others. The services are free of charge and no referral is required. You may also use a pseudonym, if you wish. Please do not hesitate to contact us. You can make a reservation for yourself, member(s) of your family or other important persons in your life. Call us and or send an e-mail.
All services offered by the Trans Support Center, including contact information, meetings and different forms of counseling, are strictly confidential.
Please send your messages to hanna.autere[at]transtukipiste.fi
The chief social worker can be reached by phone from 2 to 4 p.m. on Tuesdays. The number is +358-50-913 3278.
The social psychologist can be reached by phone from 2 to 4 p.m. on Wednesdays. The number is +358-50 303 15 22.
You can meet us alone, with your friend or partner, with your whole family, with a mental health professional or with whomever else close to you.
The Trans Support Center offers private counseling in 1 - 20 sessions for instance in following situations:
- for individuals pondering their gender identity or who need support in strengthening their gender related wellbeing
- for individuals concerned about how they feel in their body
- for individuals dealing with stressful or challenging life situations
- for individuals dealing with challenges in social interaction or social situations concerning the transition
- for individuals considering coming out or protecting their privacy
- for individuals dealing with conflicts or tensions in their relationship
- for individuals dealing with conflicts or tensions in family situations
- for trans persons and intersex persons concerned about their sexual orientation
- for individuals seeking support in searching trans-sensitive employees from different parts of Finland
- for individuals seeking support during the gender reassignment process with related examinations and treatment
- for individuals concerned with work life situations
- for individuals wishing to discuss the gender transition process of their close ones and its effect on them
- for individuals concerned about starting a relationship
- for individuals seeking support in violent circumstances or against discrimination
- for individuals seeking support for any other transgender related question
Support in relationships
The Trans Support Center offers counseling for couples and people in polyamorous relationships in 1 - 10 sessions for instance in following situations:
- when concerned about one´s own or their partner/partners´ wellbeing
- when wanting more open communication but wondering where to start
- when the gender reassignment process of a client´s partner has created tension or a need for change in the relationship
- when wondering whether to stay together or to separate
- when seeking parenting counseling
- when planning for parenthood or needing to discuss ways to become a parent
- when concerned about gender identity, gender related issues or sexual orientation or sexuality in a relationship
- when concerned about family relations or circle of friends and acquaintances
- when seeking other relationship counseling for couples or people in polyamorous relationships
Everyone defines their own family. You can visit the Trans Support Center with whomever you choose. The Trans Support Center offers support periods consisting of 1-10 sessions for the following situations:
- when a young person wants to discuss their gender with their parent or parents
- when a parent/parents want to discuss the significance of the gender reassignment process or transvestism of a parent or of the young person
- when a family member needs support because of a secret that hasn´t been shared with everyone in the family
- when someone in the family needs support
- when a parent/parents need support in telling their child about their transitioning
- when a family needs support in telling to younger siblings, relatives, circle of acquaintances, school and/or other parties that a family member is transgender or undergoing gender reassignment process
- in other matters that generate questions
Support for parenting in different situations
- consultation is available for parents on to how to support their child whose gender identity is different from their assigned gender at birth
- our consultants can help parents tell their children about their transition and discuss gender diversity
- support in family planning
- support is available for parents and families on how to interact with their circle of friends and acquaintances and with their surrounding communities
- support for parents in situations related to the intersexuality of their child or in questions related to parenting
- other support
We also offer the Path of Opportunities - service for young people under 18 years
Don´t hesitate to contact us if you wish to talk in confidence to someone who knows about the diversity of gender or if you wish to get information about possible treatments.
You can decide for yourself which services you want to use. We can help you to:
- draft together, for example, a coming-out letter/video for your parents
- ask your parents to join in our conversation and provide them with information about subjects concerning transgender/ diversity of gender
- solve, for example, school related situations
- talk about anything concerning gender identity, sexuality, sexual orientation and relationships
You can ask more or make an appointment at neuvonta[at]transtukipiste.fi.
On call Skype-service for the young. An employee of the Trans Support Center is available at Skype. Add Hanna Transtukipiste to your contacts. Please use Skype-chat instead of skype-call.
Peer support for youth
Guy group (jätkäryhmä) is for over 16-year-olds that are pondering life as a boy/man.
Women/Girl group (naisten ryhmä) is for over 16-year-olds that are pondering life as a girl/woman.
We organize an annual meeting for under 16-year-olds - you can ask about it at neuvonta[at]transtukipiste.fi.
The peer groups operate in Finnish.
Coffee Night for all trans and intersex persons Thursdays from 7 to 9 p.m.
- informal conversation for trans persons and intersex persons, and for the members of their families
- a safe environment for defining yourself and contemplating your own gender identity or expression with the help of peer support
- you are not obligated to participate in the conversation
Transvestite association DreamWearClub´s Coffee Night
The second Monday and the fourth Tuesday of every month from 7 to 9 p.m.(apart from Tuesdays in July, August and December).
The different groups gather at the Trans Support Center once a month. We have groups for women, transgenders, men, spouses and near family members and significant others.
Instructed peer support for children is arranged if needed. You can ask about groups intended for children or young people via e-mail: neuvonta[at]transtukipiste.fi
The Dressing Space
There is a dressing space at the Trans Support Center where it is possible to change and do your make up. The space is available during opening hours and on group nights (approximately half an hour before the group starts, when the group instructor arrives).
Events (Pride, TransHelsinki)
Educational and consultation services for professionals
A small library with literature on diversity of gender is available during opening hours.
Guides and brochures
original translation for this page is made by Juho
Heikkinen, Maarit Kivinen, Riikka
Korpela, Johannes Rastas and Mirva Öhman, who are students at University of
Helsinki, Department of Modern Languages, English translation. Seta
is responsible of all the alteration.